Vinyl garage doors like Durafirm are made from a synthetic material called polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a type of plastic that is found in objects and materials all over the house, including windows, doors, and flooring. Homeowners like vinyl garage doors because they’re durable, attractive, and have many of the same qualities of wood (without the maintenance). That said, vinyl isn’t for everyone. The more you know about vinyl, the easier it will be for you to make an informed decision. Here’s what you need to know about Durafirm.
Pros of Vinyl Garage Doors
There are many good qualities that draw homeowners to Durafirm products.
- Made to resemble wood. Vinyl can be shaped to have a texture that resembles wood grain. From a distance, it’s impossible to tell the difference between Durafirm doors and painted wood.
- No maintenance. Vinyl garage doors may resemble wood, but that doesn’t mean they behave like wood. Unlike wooden garage doors, vinyl never rots and never needs to be refinished or sealed.
- Very strong. Durafirm doors are built to withstand varying wind conditions, so your garage can be properly protected from severe storms.
- Lightweight. Vinyl weighs far less than heavy materials like wood, which means it puts less wear and tear on your garage door opener.
- Capable of withstanding all-weather types. Vinyl is capable of withstanding freeze/thaw cycles, extreme heat, humidity, moisture, and more.
- Never needs to be repainted. Most homeowners who keep a vinyl garage door never paint it at all, and its color stays true for years.
Cons of Vinyl Garage Doors
Vinyl isn’t for everyone, so knowing the difference between vinyl and other garage door products can help you decide if this type of door is right for you. Specifically, vinyl only comes in light colors, because darker colors will fade. If you would like a garage that is darker, a different type of garage door may be right for you.
Can You Paint Vinyl?
Although you do not have to paint vinyl in order for it to keep looking its best, you can paint it. We recommend hiring a reputable painting contractor to get the work done to help ensure a smooth and durable finish, although you can do the work yourself. There are many tutorials online that can help with this process.
Does Vinyl Dent or Scratch?
Vinyl does not dent as easily as materials like steel and aluminum. When vinyl does scratch, the scratches are not especially noticeable because vinyl is the same color all the way through.
Ready to Install a Durafirm Garage Door? Contact Overhead Door
At Overhead Door Company of Oklahoma City, we sell Durafirm doors in a range of styles. To find out more about installing a vinyl Durafirm garage door, call today to make an appointment.