A new garage door opener may sound like an easy purchase to make, but there are many decisions to make before you can install a new product in your home. One of the primary choices you’ll be faced with is whether you should buy a chain drive garage door opener or a belt drive.
Lots of homeowners don’t even know the difference between these two types of garage door openers, so if you’re not sure which is right for you, don’t feel bad! The professionals at Overhead Door of Oklahoma City can help you understand the difference.
Chain Drive Garage Door Openers
Chain-driven garage door openers are a tried and true technology. If you’re looking for a garage door opener that does its job reliably and can lift heavy doors with ease, a chain drive garage door is the product for you.
Other good features about chain drive garage door openers:
- Budget-friendly. Chain drive openers are less expensive compared to belt drive openers.
- Better for two-car garage doors. Two-car garage doors are heavier and harder to lift compared to single-space garage doors. Chain drive garage door openers are more capable of lifting larger, heavier doors.
What are the cons?
- Louder. Chain drive garage door openers create a lot of friction when they’re being used, which makes a lot of noise. If you prefer a quiet garage door opener, this is not the product for you.
- Less durable. Although chain drive garage doors are made of metal, the constant friction from the moving chain can add to the product’s wear and tear. As a result, they may not last as long as belt drive garage openers.
Belt Drive Garage Door Openers
Belt drive garage door openers are considered a more luxurious product because they operate so smoothly. The belt is made of rubber, for easy, low-friction functionality. Other benefits of using a belt drive garage door opener:
- Quieter. Belt drive garage door openers are the perfect product when you’re coming home late at night and don’t want to wake anyone.
- High-quality product. These garage door openers can add more value to your home because they’re a higher-end product compared to chain drive garage door openers.
What are the cons?
- Cost. If you’re looking for a low-cost product, chain drive openers are more affordable.
- Strength. Rubber belts just aren’t as strong as chains, so if your garage door is very heavy, this isn’t the opener for you.
Having a Hard Time Deciding? Contact Overhead Door of Oklahoma City
Garage door belt vs chain: it’s a hard thing to decide! We can help. To find out more about which type of garage door opener is right for you, contact Overhead Door of Oklahoma City. We can answer your questions, provide you with a quote, and install the garage door opener that works for your lifestyle.